The Gallery of Modern Art and Yorkhill Children’s Hospital is recruiting a freelance artist to be based with the Young People’s Service at the hospital.
Artlift (working title) is a partnership between the two institutions to research and develop how a gallery public programme (commissioning, projects, sharing collections and learning programmes) can operate within the hospital context. The institutions are also interested in how this partnership can be used to support Article 31 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. We will do this via an artist-in-residence model generating new work with the young people accessing the Young People’s Service at Yorkhill Children’s Hospital and the wider hospital community.
The artist will be based at Yorkhill Children’s Hospital and their activities will be focussed there, working with the young people on wards and as outpatients. This may also involve working with the wider staff community within the institution. The focus of this residency is experimentation, research and negotiating a visible presence for this work in the hospital.
The artist will work with the partners to:
- Explore how art can function beyond a therapeutic model in the hospital context and influence medical care for young people.
- Explore how GoMA’s public programme can operate in a hospital context Link work in the hospital into city wide festivals
- To understand and articulate this art practice in an art institutional context in addition to the health sector context.
The artist in residence will act as a catalyst for engaged public programming beyond the gallery walls. This requires an individual with a particular set of skills. They are looking for someone who:
- Is sensitive to working in a hospital and therapeutic environment and the needs of young people
- Is resourceful and able to work on their own initiative while encouraging this in others they wish to engage in projects
- Is reflective in their practice and able to document work through visual and written means
- Is accustomed to working with diverse groups and teams
Submissions should be sent in electronic format to Katie Bruce – email@example.com
The closing date for submissions is Tuesday 22 October 2013.
For further details on GoMA’s activities, visit – www.galleryofmodernart.wordpress.com and/or www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/goma
For further details about Young People’s Service at Yorkhill Children’s service, visit – www.nhsggc.org.uk